Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Where to Begin?

 I got a lot to say....Where to Begin...in a story?

 Well, if you are writing about a villain who has a dastardly plot to release a series of bombs in world-renowned tourist destinations, and an MI6 operative who has a special set of skills to thwart said plot...chances are...you're not going to have any difficulty starting this book off with a bang. (Well you might have some, but you'll have plenty of opportunity to plausibly devise an explosive entrance).

There's a lot of pressure to start a book that hooks you right in. But what if you're writing Drama, or Romance, a Slow Burn, or what if your character isn't launched into the excitement right away? Does the beginning of your book still need a hook? One with excitement, mystery, wrenching emotion or spectacle?

Yes, in some circumstances.  

Be aware that if you want to be a traditionally-published author, many submissions calls will ask for just the first chapter, first 500 words, first page, etc. So having a strong immediate beginning will be important. It's not uncommon for prospective readers to sample your book by picking up and giving it a quick read from the beginning to catch your vibe.

 But also, no... In some circumstances.When I think about it, I've almost never picked up a book based off of how it opened...what would hook me was the blurb on the back of the cover. I needed to be promised that what I was going to journey into was worth it, I didn't need to arrive on page one. When it comes to book reviews, I see little to nearly-nonexistent praise for how books open, but how well it holds their attention. When readers decide to buy your book, chances are they will be willing to invest a few chapters in it unless in your beginning there are some very large red flags that makes them drop it and run.

With that said, your pacing, writing style and characterization needs to be smooth. An active beginning will bridge the gap to your conflict, but if your plot does not allow for starting off with a bang, I would like to share some ways you can get that first chapter started regardless. Stay tuned!

Thoughts? Opinions? Rebuttals and Disagreements? Share your thoughts below!

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi DT,

    I really appreciate your insight. As someone who struggles with openers in general, I think it's a good idea to remember that there are a lot of things that contribute to my enjoyment of a book as a reader. As you said, it is a combination of factors - the blurb on the back, the general writing style, any "red" or "green" flags that might arise in terms of plot devices - that work together to hold my attention, to the point where a flashy intro, while definitely super important, isn't going to make or break my completion of that book. I would love to hear more ideas from you about how to write a well-rounded work that captivates from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your not going to start a story with a bang then try to open it with introducing your character going about their daily life. I know that kind of cliché but, at least you can build off of that later.
    Book blurb are what make me buy a book too.

    ReplyDelete